Wednesday, February 9, 2011

How I Ended Up With Grapefruit in the Oven

By Deb

Thalia: What's for dessert?
Me: There's no dessert.
Thalia: NO dessert?
Zoe: There's grapefruit.
Thalia: (sighs)
Zoe: You can broil grapefruit, right?
Me and Thalia: (blank stares)
Me: Is that a thing?
Zoe: Didn't we see a recipe for that somewhere? Remember Mom?
Me: I have no recollection of ever hearing of this.

A lot of things we eat around here stem from a conversation like this one, which took place after dinner the other night.  After Zoe pores over Food Network Magazine (no luck) and I do a Google search (success!) we are armed with many recipes for broiled grapefruit that are all a variation of:

cut grapefruit
sprinkle with something (brown sugar, cinnamon, turbinado sugar, agave nectar, etc.)
broil

So how was it? Kind of messy for Zoe because she broke hers apart and ate it in sections (I guess I never taught her how to eat grapefruit with a spoon). But unexpectedly delicious and sweet, even with very little sugar on them.

Thalia: I want this for breakfast!
Me: Wow, these are good!
Zoe: Yeah! I wonder what other fruits we could try broiling?

Hmm, to be continued...

1 comment: